Who Is Working On Your Roof?
Looking to find best roofing contractor to repair your roof is challenging. Do I hire a roofer, or a general contractor? What’s the difference? How do I know if the company I choose will do the job right the first time? There are so many companies out there, and there is a lot at stake–the roof of your home or your company!
But rest assured. We have a six-step method that we recommend to homeowners and businesses to help find the best roofing contractor.
Tips To Find Best Roofing Contractor
Here are 6 can’t-miss tips to help you make that decision:
- Hire a local company. Hire a contractor who is local and has longevity in the community. The last thing you want is someone who is, as they say, here today and gone tomorrow. After a storm, many companies will come in from outside the state to get your business. So the first step is to make sure they are a local roofing company. Also, ask your friends and family if they can refer a reliable local roofing contractor.
- Call your insurance company. They can be a great resource to you and will have a list of contractors, with whom they have worked. The best situation is to have your contractor and your adjustor meet at your property to assess the damage together. Take the time to understand your deductible, your depreciation, what your insurance company will pay, and what you should expect moving forward. This can help if your contractor tries to do something questionable.
- Know what insurance fraud is. To go along with that phone call to your insurance company, do your research and understand what insurance fraud is. Sadly, at the time you need the most help, there are companies out there to take advantage of you and insurance companies. Insurance fraud can include everything from you and/or your contractor falsifying invoices, loss summaries, etc. You want to be able to spot insurance fraud before it happens, and stay away from those who do it.
- Get more than one bid. Many homeowners get too focused on price (the cheapest roof isn’t always the best roof), but you still need to know that you are getting a competitive price. So get multiple bids. Meet contractors in person to ask questions, understand their plan, and get it in writing to compare. There’s no need to rush. Roof damage with no leaks can wait.
- Warranties/insurance/associations. Your contractor should warranty their work for years to come. They should also be bonded and insured (workers’ compensation, liability insurance). Also, check to see if they are associated with any other reputable companies. For example, Sage GC is an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Contractor. The advantage to working with an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Contractor like Sage General Contractor is that Owens backs up their preferred contractors. Learn about the advantages of hiring a Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Contractor.
- Communication is key. Communication is important for any business and any industry. If you can’t get ahold of your contractor, or you aren’t on the same page throughout the process, it’s a huge red flag. Things to look for: Are they calling you back promptly? Are they putting everything in writing? Are they following through with promises?
Sage GC has over 40 years of experience as storm damage experts and is locally owned and operated in Lewisville, Texas. We have the knowledge, the experience, and the expertise to ensure that all of our work is completed to your satisfaction and meets all building code requirements. Give us a call today (972-420-6500) or contact us here to see how you can qualify for our FREE 10-year warranty. We offer a no-obligation inspection of your home.